Soccer (M)

Men's Soccer Splits A Pair Of Games In KCU Tournament.

The SCC men’s team took the field on Friday at noon against the Host KCU Knights. A hard fought battle ensued. SCC struck first on a great overlap by Nick Ho on a ball from Travis Lyons. Nick dribbled around the side and put in a sharp angled shot to give the Patriots a 1-0 lead. Near the end of the half, a free kick taken by Patrick Williams was redirected into the goal by Will Meza to put the Patriots up 2-0 at the half.

The second half was more of the same with the both teams trying to put their stamp on the game. Midway through the half, KCU narrowed the margin with a goal of it’s own. With the time running down, in a tight contest, a good run by Nick Ho ended in a shot that was redirected into the goal by Travis Lyons. This put SCC up 3-1 and the score held up for the final.

On Saturday, the Patriots again took the field in the KCU tournament. With the win on Friday, the game against Mountain State would be for the championship of the tournament. Early on the play was pretty even as both teams tried to put pressure on the other’s goal. Just after the 10 minute mark, the referee made a controversial call and awarded Mountain State a penalty kick. SCC goalkeeper, Will Johnston came up with a great save to keep the score at 0-0. Seven minutes later, Mountain State scored in a crowded box after a missed tackle. Midway through the half, Mountain state took a 2-0 lead after a deflection in the box resulted in an open shot.

With a 2-0 halftime deficit, the Patriots looked to come out strong in the second half. Unfortunately, things went from bad to worse as Mountain State took advantage of several opportunities and scored twice in the first 10 minutes of the half. SCC continued to fight, but were unable to solve the Mountain State defense. Mountain state continued to press with fresh legs after subbing in all 12 of their subs throughout the second half. With the score at 7-0 and less than 8 minutes left, Will Meza scored on a penalty kick that was set up by a great run from Clint Smith into the box. Clint was hammer by a Mountain State defender and the referee called the foul resulting in the PK. The late goal was a little redemption at the end of a rough game where SCC ran into a very tough opponent.
Printable Version Open As Word Bookmark and Share