Basketball (M)

St. Catharine Drops Heartbreaker in the Battle of the Patriots

A foul with three tenths of a second remaining in the contest became the demise of the St. Catharine Patriots (9-5, 3-2 MSC) as they fell to the visiting University of the Cumberland’s Patriots 63-62.

After battling the visiting Patriots to a two point deficit in the first half, the St. Catharine Patriots went on the attack early in the second, when Raymon Austin (Cleveland, Ohio) slammed home a monster dunk for two of his team high 19 points to tie the contest at 32. However, the host Patriots hit a slump as the Cumberland’s tore off a 7-0 run. Following a Cumberland’s turnover Romeo Lewis (Detroit, Mich.) was able to find the bottom of the net with 14 minutes remaining in the half to cut the back to five.

The ensuing possession gave St. Catharine a lift, when Austin stuffed a Cumberland’s field goal leading to another dunk at the opposite end for Austin off the assist of Dominique Roy (Penn’s Grove, N.J.). However, the visiting Patriots were able to regain the momentum once more and maintain at most a nine point advantage for most of the remaining half. St. Catharine found one final life with just 1:46 left to play, as they tore off a 6-1 run sparked once again by the efforts of Roy and Austin. Roy brought the crowd to their feet with 23 seconds remaining, as he came off of a screen and drilled the game tying three pointer from the near the volleyball line. However, the host Patriots dreams of a come-back win were shattered when merely three tenths of a second remained on the clock. William Tolefree (Stone Mountain, Ga.) and Omar Skinner (New Castle, Del.) showed their resilience with a tremendous amount of effort on the final play, but resulted in a foul that would allow the Cumberland’s to sink one of two free throws and seal the victory.

The Patriots will be back in action Saturday afternoon at 4 PM, when rival Georgetown College invades Lourdes Hall.  

Printable Version Open As Word Bookmark and Share