Soccer (M)

Harry Kirwan recorded the game winning goal in the 59th minute against Missouri Baptist University on Saturday.Harry Kirwan recorded the game winning goal in the 59th minute against Missouri Baptist University on Saturday.

Kirwan's goal lifts Patriots over Spartans

Box Score

St Catharine, Ky. – The Patriot men’s soccer team (3-4) put a stop to their four game skid over the weekend when they hosted Missouri Baptist University.

After winning their first two games of the season, the Patriots hit a rough patch in the schedule losing four in a row. But that four-game skid came to an end after a 1-0 victory over Spartans (2-4) on Saturday afternoon.

Sophomore, Harry Kirwan (Lincoln, England) scored a goal in the 59th minute that proved to be the difference in the win. The Patriot defense held the Spartans to just five shots and two shots on goal. The Patriot offense was much more active, recording 13 shots and three on frame.

The first half was full of missed chances for both teams. Marvin Wesselburg (Essen, Germany) had back-to-back shots in the 15th and 16th minute, but both of his shots sailed high. The Spartans had a shot in the 22nd minute, but right there for one of his two saves was Brandon Campbell (Louisville, Ky.).

The best chance for the Patriots came in the 41st minute when the Patriots were granted a penalty kick. The Spartans committed a foul in the box which called for a penalty kick. Matthew Lowndes (Stoke-in-Trent, England) struck the penalty kick, but the Spartans’ goalkeeper guessed right and recorded the save. The score would remain scoreless at halftime.

In the second half, the two teams began to push their offense forward looking for the go ahead goal. Brandon Campbell made his final save in the 57th minute when he made a diving save to keep the game scoreless.

The Patriot offense finally came through in the 59th minute thanks to Harry Kirwan. Bradley Wilson (Doncaster, England) made a cross into the box that connected with a running Harry Kirwan who headed the ball into the back of the net for the goal. The Patriots withstood pressure from the Spartans over the final 30 minutes to seal the 1-0 win.

St. Catharine will return to action this Tuesday when they travel to Indianapolis, Indiana for a match against Marian University.

Printable Version Open As Word Bookmark and Share