Friday, November 14, 2014


     The Patriot men’s soccer team continued their magical season last night when they defeated the Cumberland University Bulldogs 2-1. The Patriots notched their 15th win of the season; they also punched their ticket into the Mid-South Conference Tournament Final tonight against nationally ranked #4 in the country, Lindsey Wilson College. The trip to the final is the first in the program’s history.

     The match got off to an exciting start right from the get go. When senior forward, Ashley Woods (Manchester, England) got the match started less than a minute into the game when his shot went off the post. The ball then made its way to Tyler McKenty (Benton, Ky.) after it deflected off the post. McKenty then kicked the ball that was destined for the back of the net, but was intentionally stopped the defenders hands. The hand ball resulted in a penalty kick for Woods. Woods put the PK in the back of the net to give the Patriots a 1-0 lead just 28 seconds into the game.

     The Patriots would strike again five minutes later in the fifth minute when Marvin Wesselburg (Essen, Germany) somehow snuck the ball past the Bulldog defense to the front of the net, where a cutting Bradley Wilson (Doncaster, England) finished with the goal to give the Patriots a 2-0 lead. The Bulldogs would cut the lead in half in the 36th minute when Josh Armstrong lofted a corner kick to the front of the net to Sam Sheen, who headed the ball past CJ Powell (Louisville, Ky.) to cut the Patriot lead to 2-1. The Patriots would take the 2-1 lead into the locker room. However, the 2-1 lead a half would come with a consequence, with four minutes remaining in the half Max Bristow, a freshman from Exeter, England, suffered a terrible ankle injury that will force him to miss the remainder of the season.

     The Bulldogs controlled the ball for much of the second half, as the Patriot offense had very few chances to extend their lead. One opportunity, however, came in the 62nd minute when Harry Kirwan (Lincoln, England) broke free, but his shot sailed high. It looked as though the Bulldogs were going to tie the game in 81st minute when the ball bounced around the front of the net, but CJ Powell made a huge save to keep the game at 2-1. However, that wasn’t the end of the heart racing moments for the Patriots, with three minutes remaining in the game the Bulldogs made one final run to tie the game up when the ball looked as though it was headed for the back of the net, but from out of nowhere Harry Kirwan made a game saving play to keep the game at 2-1. The Patriots would hold on in the final minutes for the 2-1 victory.

     The Patriots will now make their way to the Mid-South Conference Tournament Final tonight against national power, Lindsey Wilson College. The game will be played at Finley Stadium located on the campus of Campbellsville University located in Campbellsville, Ky., with kickoff is set for 5:30 PM.