Friday, February 27, 2015


     Matt Taylor’s squad has had an up-and-down season, but last night they played their best when their backs were against the wall. After being decimated by injuries they picked up an upset victory over No. 7 Georgetown College 71-68 in front of a packed house at Lourdes Hall.

     The Patriots (11-16, 5-10 MSC) led by as many 13 in the second half, but the Tigers (24-5, 11-4 MSC) showed why they are a top-10 team fighting back to take the lead back with 2:18 remaining.

     Khalil Murphy (Willingboro, N.J.) came to the rescue and nailed the eventual game-winning triple with 14 seconds remaining. Murphy finished the game with a double-double with a game-high 22 points and 12 rebounds. Lorenzo Dewberry (Detroit, Mich.) was the only other Patriot in double figures with 16 points. Demetrus Richardson (Wilmington, Del.) provided a spark off the bench with seven points and nine rebounds in 22 minutes of play. Murphy and Richardson helped the Patriots win the rebounding battle 42-28.

     The Tigers jumped out to an early 5-2 lead, but that would prove to be the only lead they would only until the final minutes. St. Catharine responded with a 17-4 run to take a 10 point advantage with 11:38 remaining in the half. Georgetown cut the lead to nine, but Dewberry connected on a triple to extend the lead back to double figures with 8:46 remaining in the half. The Patriots held a manageable lead over the final eight minutes and change to take a 42-33 lead into the locker room.

     The Tigers were poised to take the lead in the early going in the second frame after connecting on a pair of 3’s, but a pair of buckets by Murphy extended the lead back to 10. Georgetown would cut the lead to six with 12:48 remaining forcing Matt Taylor to call a timeout. His team responded with six unanswered to take their largest lead of the game at 13, 60-47. The Tigers would begin to claw back to the tune of a 15-2 run to tie the game up a 62 apiece with just over five minutes remaining in regulation. The final five minutes would prove to be a slugfest.

     After Georgetown tied the game up at 62-62, Murphy and Richardson responded with a pair of baskets to give the lead back to St. Catharine with 3:46 remaining in regulation. Georgetown again responded, this time it was a 6-0 run to take the two point advantage with just over two minutes remaining. Nick Porter (Owensboro, Ky.) had a chance to tie the game at the charity strip, but he only connected on one of two as the Patriots still trailed by one with 2:17 remaining.

     The Patriots’ tenacious defense, however, stepped up with back-to-back stops to give their offense a chance to take the lead with 34 seconds remaining. Khalil Murphy again came to the rescue when he drained his third triple of the game with 14 seconds remaining. Georgetown would call a timeout with nine seconds and the Patriots’ defense would have to come up with one more stop. The defense would answer the bell again forcing the Tigers into a turnover. A flagrant foul was then called on Georgetown that would give the Patriots two freebies and the ball. Richardson stepped up to the charity stripe and connected on one of two, but as the buzzer sounded it was the Patriots who were the victors, 71-68.

     With the win the Patriots with be either the six or seven seed in next week’s Mid-South Conference Tournament in Frankfort, Ky. St. Catharine will see either Georgetown or Campbellsville in the opening round on Friday, March 6th.