Wednesday, September 2, 2015


St. Catharine, Ky. – The Patriot men’s soccer team got their season off to a 2-0 start after a tough 2-1 win on the road at Bryan (Tenn.).

Bradley Wilson (Doncaster, England) netted his second game winning goal of the season with four minutes remaining to give the Patriots the 2-1 victory. Matthew Lowndes (Stoke-in-Trent, England) also found his name in the scoring column for his first goal of the season and his first goal as a Patriot.

Brandon Campbell (Louisville, Ky.) also came up big in goal for the Patriots making a number of big saves. Although Campbell only tallied four saves, he made the saves when they counted in crunch time. Campbell recorded his second win of the season while playing all 90 minutes in goal.

After the first 37 minutes had passed by with no goals, the Patriots got on the board first in the 37th minute. Bradley Wilson weaved his way through a couple different defenders and had a shot on frame, but his shot was initially blocked by the goalkeeper. Matthew Lowndes, however, was right there on the rebound to put the ball in the back of the net to give the Patriots a 1-0 lead.

For the remainder of the first half and the opening 17 minutes in the second frame, the scored remained the same. Things changed, however, in the 62nd minute when the Lions (1-1) tied the game at one apiece on a goal headed in by Joel Glover.

The final 28 minutes proved to be a battle as both teams fought to find the go-ahead goal that would give their team the lead. The Patriots proved to be a bit tougher than the Lions after they scored with four minutes remaining.

The sequence began with the work of Andrew Brown (Dayton, Ohio). Brown brought the ball up the field weaving his way through defenders to get the ball to Marvin Wesselburg (Essen, Germany). Wesselburg played the ball into the box to Bradley Wilson, who one-timed the ball in the back of the net to give the Patriots the 2-1 lead.

The Patriot defense was able to hold the 2-1 lead over the final four minutes to come away with the 2-1 win. As a team, the Patriots were outshot by the Lions 17-13, including 6-5 with shots on goal.

St. Catharine will return to action this Friday when they travel to Indiana to take on Taylor University beginning at 7 p.m. EST.