Sunday, September 2, 2007


On Friday, the SCC women played at 9:00 am against Pikeville College with high hopes of getting the first win of the season. As the game started, it was cloudy and cool, and everyone was glad for the break in the heat. SCC got off to a strong start by dominating possession and holding the ball in the Pikeville half. The Lady Patriots began to bombard the Pikeville goal with shot after shot. Slowly though, the Pikeville defense began to assert itself the the play began to be more and more even as the half wore on. 33 minutes into the contest, a great individual effort by Kara Morehead resulted in the team’s first goal of the season. She won the ball, dribbled around 3 players and shot to the back post for the 1-0 halftime lead.

In the second half, Pikeville stepped up their attack. In the seventh minute of the half, they struck with a goal to equal the score. Several minutes later, Patriot defender Sara Foley was knocked to the ground and hit her head. This resulted in a medical timeout that lasted about 20 minutes as she was attended to and eventually taken to the hospital for treatment (Sara received a mild concussion and will be fine).

After the medical timeout, the Lady Patriots seemed unable to regain their focus. Despite several attempts by Pikeville, the SCC defense held up. Nearing the final 15 minutes, the Patriots worked hard to attack the goal. The SCC midfield was able to serve through-balls to Haley Reed and Monica Milesky to earn 4 one-on-ones with the Pikeville goalkeeper. Each time, they were denied and the score remained 1-1.

In the 36th minute of the second half, Pikeville won the ball off a SCC goal kick and lofted a shot over goalkeeper Sigourney Lundy to take a 2-0 lead. SCC fought back trying to even up the score, but succumbed to a late goal by Pikeville to fall 3-1.

The SCC women took the field again at noon on Saturday looking to regain their form after the loss on Friday. The opponent was Valley Forge Christian College and the Lady Patriots attacked from the start. SCC held the ball in the Valley Forge half for most of the first half and punished the keeper with shots. Finally, at 41 minutes into the half, Kara Morehead broke through a crowd of players to get a clean shot at the goal and finished it off for the 1-0 lead.

After the half, the Lady Patriots looked to add to their lead and avoid a letdown. After 15 minutes of solid play, Monica Milesky deflected a ball and ran on to it to get a one-on-one with the Goalkeeper. Unlike the previous day, she finished this one off easily to put SCC up 2-0. Eighteen minutes later, Haley Reed found herself in a similar position off a through pass from Kara Morehead. She too finished it off with a solid chip shot over the keeper to put SCC up 3-0 with 12 minutes left in the game.

SCC fought hard the rest of the way, but a late breakdown resulted in a run-out for Valley Forge and a goal with 2 minutes remaining. The final score stood at 3-1. SCC finished second in the tournament and with the win, equaled last years win total.